Saturday, November 15, 2008

Simulations and Gaming

Kids now have limited attention spans and more visually based learning styles! Yes, of course....the google hologram Earth is very cool. I sent the url and the ones for Earth album and Wanderlust to our social science department, as well as the director of technology and the principal. There is so much out here, I think it's overwheming to discover and test it all- so I pass along things I like and I think someone may like. Although on Earth Album, I'm not sure who gets to publish pictures, but the fellow who did had pictures from some of our town's feature, not all by any means! He also posted pictures from a wedding- !! What?? Anyway I may have to look into this. Cool stuff.
Sim games- yes, I agree they are huge and can be used in educational settings- I still think of the old Oregon Trail software. I know several people who are hooked on the Sim games..they have to log in and play/participate at least a few minutes to sevral hours a day. Here's a summarizing excerpt from Jerry Seay's article ..."The tool of simulation/games allows teachers to present "the play in" a topic while engaging students in the process of "turning ideas on their sides." It all comes together as serious learning that can push the boundaries of normal teaching practice. It is not easy, but it is well worth the rewards it brings. Richard B. Powers, a long time user of simulation games at Utah State University says it succinctly. "Games bring together the rarely associated elements of play, laughter, and learning which bring joy to learning. Why not make learning in our schools joyful (Powers, 1994, p. 235)?""
I'm almost afraid to experience GEAS, Global Extinction Awareness System...but what a novel idea to have others join in and create possible soultions to the problems we are projected to face in the future, not as individual communities, but as global communities.
I passed the mathway.com site onto or math dept and several math intervention teachers that I know at our neighboring schools. What a good tool for parents too!!! Awesome. I bet the kids will love it, if they haven't already found it.

No comments: