Monday, February 16, 2009

Empathy

I know we are taking this assignment out, but I have done some thinking on it. A few of us, who live fairly close, were discussing possibilities for the experience. I was focused on trying to do something close, but also fun and interesting- make it an outing! We'd talked about the zoo. Wow, how cool would that be to go on a behind the scenes tour? Maybe feed some of the animals. Now I've been thinking to myself, school is kind of like a zoo. I am behind the scenes everyday. What shall we feed them? How much and how often? Do they have enough engaging activity? How's their health and well being? Are they social enough for the public? Should we be worried about their neighbors? What about the trainers and caregivers? Are they providing enough stimulation to keep up their fitness? Okay, it's a little silly, but similar. I think it's also a good reminder for me that I have a fun and rewarding job. People may actually have fun following me around on a behind the scenes tour. What would I show them? What would I be proud of? How would I present the areas where we need intervention? Do I disclose my own pitfall areas? How do I propose to diagnose them? How do I help move others toward positive interventions without creating backlash? Or unintended negative learning? Hmm- a zoo and its' keeper vs. a school and its' leader- peas in a pod!! So many analogies to draw- metaphors of animals to students/staff- interesting! Perhaps I'll use some of them in my organizational diagnosis.

No comments: