Monday, October 20, 2008

21st Google Cog MultiMed Theory Diplo Moodle- The Learning Web

Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!!! The amount of information is incredible. I am familiar with many of the new technologies but constantly feeling more and more overwhelmed about how to integrate it and all of the information into our educational systems. Again, how do we get the "seasoned" teachers to be comfortable with it? Tech. Boot Camp? Perhaps that's an answer. The 21st Century Literacy, was thick, but it contains a lot of good ideas about how to get things going without disrupting the entire system. The Getting Past Google article was a good reminder of what our kids and probably educators don't remember....tech civility and etiquette, if you will. How often do we or others we know "borrow" or "copy and paste" things from the web without citing them?
I'm going to go off on a small tangent form here...the idea of tech. etiquette or civility, which I like to call it, since it's the overarching theme of my current research. I find that all of this tech info, differentiated learning, theories of learners, rules, copyright laws, etc.....seems to mesh right in with civility and our expectations for each other and society- yet, we haven't mastered even this yet. I find that my brain has been working on this behind the scenes of everything I do, perhaps this is why I feel like a "dismantling" of sorts is going on.
The Learning Web- WOW!!! It was published over 10 years ago. Are educators of educators aware of this, especially in the United States? What about all of this other information??? Why do we continue to lag behind? How do we break the "measurement society" norms? How does NCLB fit in with this, should it or should it be scrapped, is it valid and worthwhile? Oh my, so much out there, so many avenues, where to start? Let's see how the think Globally, Act Local exercise goes. Can we incorporate the tech tools and make them work in classrooms? I say yes, give me a while to make my first step, actually I have already talked to our Director of Technology, next is with the department chairs and our tech savvy teachers.

No comments: