Preschoolers online? Does this not create a crazy visual? It certainly does for me. I am amazed that 1/3 of them have been online, with assistance of course. The visual makes me think of the commercial where the baby boy is at the computer- the view of him is what it would be from his web cam- like the iChat feature and camera on our macs. Is the commercial for e-trade? Anyway, his blackberry or iPhone or what brand the device is, is "blowing-up" with texts, phone calls, and web updates on his stocks. Literacy and new language...look at the terms in just this commercial and the implications of someone so young managing all of those technical tasks at once. He answers the call and ask if he can "hit her back". Just one of many! Preschoolers online- I guess there is a whole world of stuff out there for all ages. Look at the exposure and the time spent on these tasks in our daily lives, no wonder kids are better masters than we "more seasoned" users.
Edutopia and Alvin Toffler...wow! Great points! Forget about NCLB and policies that are not fit to accomplish their intended outcomes. Let's look at the system. Industrial workers???? Education designed to prepare them- stop the bus! Industry doesn't even look the same now. The desired and required entry level skills are no longer the 3 R's. They are much more diverse and technological than that. Obsoledge! There's a good new word. Toffler's words on teachers- I tend to agree with. Real world experiences outside of the flawed system's walls would be incredible. When I worked on my Master's degree in educational counseling (and a career counseling emphasis), I learned the most in my internships, not in the classroom. Sitting and taking notes or reading from a book is not at all close to what the reality is in schools. Real-life, participatory learning is very important. It's also important to make the most out of the experiences- take initiative- take some risks- make some changes- push the boundaries! I had to do this because that's who I am, but I'm not sure I learned that in one class or from one role model or leader. I can envision even more collaboration with all levels in education and into the work place. What kind of graduates does the community need? Do they just need to pass the CASHEE and acquire a specified number of units in specific areas??? NO!!!!! College degrees? Not every one needs them- and not everyone who has one is not guaranteed a great job in that field. The entire system needs restructuring. We're passing along the products of a flawed system, which is perpetuating flaws. Economy? Local businesses being investigated for illegal activity. Illegally using and locking up investors money- bad practices. When do we start? I don't see the whole system shutting down and opening up- new! Future and current teachers, educators, and members of the community need to make steps toward the future; integrate technology, integrate employer needs, integrate student passion, integrate differentiated and participatory learning, integrate, collaborate, and flourish!!! Ha...I wrote the previous words before reading the New Tech Foundation materials. Validation!! Can I get an amen? If this foundation can get something like this going? Why can't the Feds? States? Counties? Local Districts? Let's go people!! Let's look at policies that keep us from progressing- out with the old and in with the new. The ECAR findings fit right along with the rest of the readings, my ideas, and the direction we ned to be moving. The Net Generation is ready...and nearing graduations...have we done all we coud and should for them? What will future generations be called? What might there needs be? Probably similar to today's generation and generations of the past, but the educational mold is more than stale.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment